Souths Logan Magpies (@2.5) vs Tweed Heads (@1.57)
25-08-2019

Our Prediction:

Tweed Heads will win

Souths Logan Magpies – Tweed Heads Match Prediction | 25-08-2019 01:00

The Magpie crest, now synonymous with Brisbane Southern Suburbs, as it is shared by both Souths rugby league and rugby union, was formally adopted in 1968, after having the Magpies nickname for decades. During the Carltons years, and up until the forced change to a black jersey, the club wore cherry and white now synonymous with the Redcliffe Dolphins. By the second half of 20th century, however, Souths played in a predominantly white strip with two black Vs one thick and one thin.

(Southern Suburbs were known as the Lions up to the late-fifties, it was in the early sixties that they took on the Magpie logo) The war also saw them leave their spiritual home of Davies Park, which was first used in 1910, as it was used as housing for American servicemen in the city. During World War II, a lack of dyes for clothing forced the club to change jerseys, a problem that faced many clubs throughout Australia. Although they had an acute shortage of players, they continued to field teams, playing and training out of Musgrave Park in South Brisbane. Souths adopted the old West End jersey, and after the war chose to keep the design, and added a white V.

But all would be forgotten in the euphoria of winning the 1981 title by defeating Redcliffe in the grand final with a spectacular try on the last play of the match. However shrewd management and hard work saw an on-field revival, led by coach Wayne Bennett, resulting in the club making the 1979 Grand Final, although they were beaten 26-0 by Valleys. Bob McCarthy took over as coach in 1980, and guided the Magpies to another Grand Final loss, this time against underdogs Norths 17-15. The early 1970s saw the club in the doldrums of the league, as well as facing severe financial problems by the middle of the decade.

The Carlton Club was also promoted to the Senior Grade of the QRL Competition. When the QRU Senior Grade competitions recommenced in 1919 the vast majority of the members of both the Merthyr and Carlton Clubs returned to play with the Brothers Club; however, a number of members decided to stay with the League Game and the name and colours of the Carlton Football remained with the QRL.

OPINION | Why Warrington Wolves will win the 2019 Challenge Cup Final

In 2004 all games were moved to Davies Park. Following the take-over of Logan Scorpions in 2003 the club split its home games between Davies Park and Logan's Meakin Park in Slacks Creek, although they had moved full-time to Davies Park by the end of the year. In 2006 all games were played at Brandon Park. In late 2005 the Magpies began moving matches to Brandon Park in Acacia Ridge, just opposite the Archerfield Airport, to be nearer Souths Juniors. Traditionally, the Magpies home ground is Davies Park, although they did spend a time at Musgrave Park during World War II. 2007 saw 6 of the 10 games back at Davies Park, with the remaining 4 at Brandon Park.

Following the introduction of District Football in 1933 by the Brisbane Rugby League, Carltons were forced to relinquish their identity and as a result became known as Southern Suburbs. Souths inherited a debt of 90 pounds, and also suffered an exodus of players, resulting in doubts over their ability to field a first-grade team. However, newly elected President Jack Adams started the club with regular meetings under his West End clothing factory, which also made the club's first jerseys free of charge.

The Souths Logan Magpies, more commonly referred to by their former names Southern Suburbs Magpies, or South Brisbane Magpies, or often simply referred to as Souths, are a rugby league football club based in the southern suburbs of Brisbane, Australia. They play in the Intrust Super Cup, and although officially are a newer club (having been formed in 2003), they have roots tracing back (as Souths Magpies) to as early as 1910, the second year of rugby league in Queensland.

Players who have worn the jerseys of South Brisbane 1908 to 1913, West End 1913 to 1926, Carlton 1926 to 1933, Souths 1933 onwards and represented their state totalled 80 of whom 33 Represented Australia. Fewin 1920, Vic Anderson, 1909 John Grant, Jim Murphy, Wayne Bennett, Ray Higgs, Brad Tessmann, John Grice, Robert Nicholson 1909, Len Pegg, Alan Hornery, Frank Drake, Alan Gil, Reg Kay, Alan Thompson, Henry Holloway, Claude O'Donnell, Greg Veivers (Captain), (Greg's Father Jack represented Queensland), Mick Veivers, Neville Broadfoot, Dave Brown, Bill Tyquin (Captain), Tom Tyquin, Peter Jackson, Harold 'Mick' Crocker, Elton Rasmussen, Lew Platz, Gary Belcher, Jason Smith, Bob Lindner, Mal Meninga (Captain) William (Bill) Heidke 1908/9 Kangaroo tour. The first player was Herb Brackenreg in 1909 to represent Australia. Other Souths players to represent Australia were:H.

Souths made their first grand final in 1942, however went down to Brothers 20-11. As a tribute, the Bill Tyquin Oval at Davies Park was named after him. They also won two junior premierships in that same year. In 1945 they broke their premiership drought in most emphatic fashion, becoming the first club to clean-sweep the BRL in first, reserve and third grades. This was followed with more premierships in 1949, 1951 and 1953. Bill Tyquin, a product of Souths district, was captain-coach of the 1949 team, and went on to become an outstanding administrator and President of the club, as well as a delegate to the Brisbane Rugby League.

Semi Finals

The West End Club played their last season in the Senior Grade in 1920. Playing in an all black strip, the club won the 1913 premiership against Natives 5-3 in a low scoring game, and were runners-up to Valleys the following year, going down by 188. The first rugby league club to represent the southern side of the Brisbane River was West End, who entered the Queensland Rugby League premiership in 1910.

The Carlton Football Club was founded in 1918 as a Junior Grade (Reserve Grade) Club to compete in the QRL competition. The club was founded by members of the Brothers Old Boys Junior Division (modern day Reserve Graders) along the same lines of the Merthyr Football Club Senior Division (modern day "A" Graders) in 1917. The members wanted to stay together and play football and since the QRU had abandoned Senior Football, they saw this as their only option.