Scotstown (@1.2) vs Truagh (@4.5)

Our Prediction:

Scotstown will win

Scotstown – Truagh Match Prediction | 14-09-2019 11:30

Badly missed at county and by the looks of things club level also. Sean's need to pick up points soon. Dictated the game last night. Could be cut adrift by the 1st of May when the last 5pointers is played. Stephen lambe a major plus for toome having him back. Ud expect more from a team of their calibre, championship final and league final in the last 2 years plus some good young players tru in the last year or so.In junior good wins for toome and rock last night. Same applies to aughnamullen. Bring James Wilson back into that team and they have a big chance of a junior championship. Hopefully hes back before then.

Drumgath (Down) and Foreglen (Derry) were beaten to reach the Ulster Final where we faced a strong Eskra(Tyrone) side. The lads in red and black prevailed on a wet night in Armagh and we were now in an All-Ireland Semi-Final. We reached both the league final and the championship final. First we defeated Tyholland to win the (Intermediate Championship) for a third time. On an emotionally charged day Truagh secured victory on a score of 2-21 to 2-13. The magnificent surroundings of Croke Park where victory was achieved was a far cry from our humble beginnings in March 1958. In the league final we didnt perform on the day and lost to Currin. As Monaghan Intermediate Champions we were now involved in the Ulster series. In 2013 optimism was high that a that a good year was in store and our intermediate squad didnt disappoint. We faced Geraldines (Louth) in Crossmaglen and in an entertaining game Truagh emerged victorious by 3 points. We were now going in to the unknown but our players responded magnificently. On February 9th 2014 Gaeil Triucha faced Kiltane of Mayo for the All-Ireland Intermediate Title. This victory was a credit to the players and management team, but also was a testament to the hard work and perseverance of past players, committee members and supporters many of whom have reached their eternal reward.

Monaghan Forum

Further points from Catriona Treanor and one from Natasha Mohan left Truagh 0-08 to 0-03 up at half time. The Truagh girls were first of the mark with a point from Catriona McKenna. Arva replied five minutes later with a point but Natasha Mohan and Nuala McQuillan increased Truaghs led to two points. After the break the Truagh girls extended their led to eight points with a point each from Catriona Treanor, Natasha Mohan and Caoimhe Mohan. On Sunday the 12th of October Truagh Ladies faced Arva of Cavan in the Ulster Championship Semi Final. However the game was far from over when Arva found the back of the net.

They were able to call on the experience of Nicholas Corrigan who has only recently re-joined the squad after taking a break from the game. Paul Grant got his second point of the game with his trusty left boot. It really was end to end action now, with the sizable crowd really getting their moneys worth. Scotstown management duo Dermot Maguire and Gerard Caulfield chose to make their second substitution of the game at this stage. If Scotstown felt hard done by in not being further ahead at the break, they wasted no time putting that right in the third quarter of the game. Dermot Malone responded with the first Blayney point of the second half, but this was quickly cancelled out when his defence gave up a cheap free under pressure which Emmet Caulfield knocked over the bar. Minutes later Kieran Hughes again gave his marker the slip and made no mistake in finishing to the net for his second goal of the evening. He quickly gained possession, showed the Blayney man a clean pair of heels before fisting the ball over the bar to announce his return to Senior action in style. Brendan McElroy duly obliged to cut the gap down to four points with just a matter of minutes remaining. Scotstown now await the winners of the Truagh v. Ballybay match in the next round. Midway through the half they created a great chance for a goal, but Ciaran Hanratty knocked it over the bar for a point. James Turley became the second Blues player to enter the referees notebook shortly after, but it was mostly positives for Scotstown in this period as forwards Shane Carey and David McCague weighed in with points. One more point was all Blayney could muster, and Scotstown held on for a famous victory over the auld enemy on a score line of Scotstown 2-11 Castleblayney 1-11. Scotstown were now firmly in the driving seat with a seven point advantage. As the referee indicated two minutes of added time, Castleblayney piled on the pressure. Shane Carey went up the field and pointed for the Blues, Blayney went down the other end for another of their own, then Paul Grant struck another for Scotstown. With ten minutes left, there were six points in it. They were unlucky on two separate occasions as one effort went narrowly wide with Blues goalkeeper Maguire beaten, while another effort rattled the woodwork before the Scotstown defence managed to smuggle the ball out of the danger zone. The Faughs needed to up their performance as the match seemed to be slipping away from them. Keith Hill registered another point from a free to bring them back to within five points. Desperate measures were now required for the Faughs and a goal was urgently needed. Corrigan used all of his experience to position himself goal-side of his marker as a high ball came in. He replaced the tiring Kieran Hughes, and it wasnt long before the former County player was in the heart of the action.

The rest of the league progressed well and Truagh finished 3rd on the League table. The first league fixture was a home game against Monaghan Harps and with it the Truagh girls took their first Senior League win. This year Truagh Ladies competed in the Senior League, it was a first for the Club as only two years previous were we still in the Junior Division.

Round 3[edit]

The full time score was Truagh 0-11, Scotstown 2-04. Laura McKenna and Amy Murray kicked a point a piece to extend the lead to three. After half time it was Truagh that opened the scoring with a point from Caoimhe Mohan levelling the game. The Truagh girls kept their cool and with seconds to go Amy Murray put the ball over the bar to win the game. A dangerous lead in any game and this proved to be the case when Scotstown levelled the game with a goal less than a minute from full time. A minute later Truagh took the lead for the first time with another point from Caoimhe Rooney.

That left just the bare minimum between the teams. A definite candidate for goal of the season. With the visitors reeling, Orin Heaphey helped himself to another point to give Scotstown a four point lead. Paul Grant got one in reply for the Blues. It was a fine evening for football, and despite Scotstown having the better of the opening exchanges, it was Mark Counihan who got the first two points of the game for Truagh. His brother Kieran replaced him. With time running out, Scotstown lifted the siege and fed the ball up to substitute James Hamill. Christopher McKenna converted a free to level things again on 19 minutes. Barely a minute later right full back Mark Duffy picked up the ball well out the field. With neither side making any changes at half time, they swapped scores with Darren Hughes and Daniel McKenna each getting a point. It was the last involvement of Darren Hughes, as soon afterwards he limped off with what looked like an ankle injury. Truagh were the visitors to St. Gary Meehan and Christopher McKenna got another couple of points for Truagh to leave them only four behind. Truagh were making the most of the extra man, and came very close to grabbing another goal but for a last ditch block on the line by Donal Morgan. The last time these sides met was early in the season when Truagh were too strong and ran out convincing winners. Scotstown were reduced to fourteen men when a high challenge by James Turley earned him a second yellow, and an early shower. Further points from James Turley, Shane Carey and Darren Hughes (2) left Scotstown in the driving seat at half time with a lead of 1-8 to 0-5. It was ten minutes before the home side registered a score, but by the 13th minute Shane Carey had put them ahead. No whistle came though as Duffy beared down on goal, he kept calm and planted the ball firmly into the top corner of the Truagh net. Truagh now sensed they could get something out of the game, and when Gary Meehan worked his way through on the Scotstown goal, he made no mistake and finished to the net. Marys Park, Scotstown for a north Monaghan local derby on Friday evening. Christopher McKenna reduced the deficit by one on 25 minutes, but Scotstown were starting to get Peter OHara more involved in the game and he hurt Truagh with a couple of well taken points. Scotstown were missing a number of players who would likely have started - Brian McGinnity, Eddie Beggan and Stephen Sherry. He went on a surging run through the Truagh defence who were perhaps waiting for a whistle from the referee for steps.

Having seen off opposition from St. Truagh disposed of the Scotstown threat with seven points to spare and now faced Monaghan Harps in the final. On the 3rd of May, a bank holiday Monday the U16 took part in the Ronan Leonard Memorial Blitz. Brigids, Monaghan Harps and Aghabog the Truagh girls finished top of their group and were entered into the Cup semi-final against Scotstown.

Round 2[edit]

Ballybay talisman Paul Finlay picked up possession one last time, and made no mistake in sending the ball between the posts to put his side in the lead for the first time in the game. There was still time for Scotstown to launch one last attack. Adrian Carbin and Damian McArdle came on after 40 minutes for the visitors, and shortly after Ballybay gave away a free which Paul Grant sent over for their first score of the half. A point from Thomas Kerr left the minimum between the sides with just a matter of minutes remaining. Ballybay continued to press and were denied a goal chance through some last ditch defending. Scotstown eventually made their way back onto the pitch, and were presented with a much sterner test in the second half as they now had to come to terms with playing into the strong breeze. Ballybay were out early for the second half, no doubt with ears ringing from their half-time team talk. Next up for Scotstown is Castleblayney in the Championship next Sunday in Clontibret. Ballybay got another point to leave them just two behind. Ballybay finally equalised with time running out and the game entered injury time. Christopher McGuinness got a quick-fire point on the board for the home side, and within a short number of minutes they had registered another 1-1 without reply to bring themselves right back into contention. Scotstown continued to match the league leaders for effort and determination, but the scores that seemed so easy to come by earlier in the game had now dried up. The ball was worked out to James Turley on the left, but a difficult angle combined with the poor conditions meant he couldnt find the target and Scotstown had been pipped at the post.

This clash had been fixed for Sunday afternoon, but due to Monaghan Senior Ladies getting to the All-Ireland Final, it was moved to Friday night under lights. Magheracloone had generated most of the headlines in to build up to this game, with county forward Tommy Freeman returning home after a summer in the USA. Sure enough, Freeman took his place on the field from the start. Despite the long trek to south Monaghan, Scotstown took good support with them as they attempted to make it to their first County Final in seven years. Scotstown made it through to the Senior Championship County Final with a gutsy display against Magheracloone in Inniskeen.

On 13 minutes Emmett Caulfield scored with an excellent left footed point from out the field. Ballybay were coping well enough playing into the wind and equalised soon after. There was none of the pleasant summer weather we had enjoyed earlier in the week at Ballybay today as the rain and wind blew around Pearse Park. Table toppers Ballybay replied with a score which was given without hesitation by the umpire, although some of the players and many of the spectators thought it had tailed wide at the last minute. Indeed, the visitors could have been in front by more as they kicked a number of wides during this period of dominance. Scotstown enjoyed the benefit of the wind in the first half with David McCague opening their account after 4 minutes. Paul Finlay converted a free for Ballybay at the other end to bring them back to five points behind. A mistake in the Ballybay defence gave the ball away to David McCague who found himself one on one with the goalkeeper before finishing the ball emphatically to the roof of the net. Paul Grant knocked over two excellent points from range after good work to set him up by Brian McGinnity. Darren Hughes put the Blues back in the lead with a well taken placed ball. In the closing 5 minutes of the half, Scotstown pushed on and Grant, Emmett Caulfield and David McCague kicked some excellent scores to leave the score at Ballybay 0-3 Scotstown 1-8 going in at half-time.

Round 1[edit]

Marron R.I.P. In 1961 a new curate, Fr. This was the start of juvenile football in the parish and was one of the most important developments in the club. was joined by Brendan Landers R.I.P, Packie Deery R.I.P, Jimmy Treanor R.I.P and others in the organisation of juvenile and minor affairs over the following years. Fr. He had a keen interest in Gaelic Games and under his tutelage an U-16 team was fielded in 1961. Truagh Gaels played their first league game against Scotstown in March 1958. Marron R.I.P., came to Carrickroe. Shanco Park was the venue and the newly formed Gaels defeated their more fancied rivals by a point. However Junior Football proved to be a tough nut to crack and success was proving to difficult to achieve.