Castleknock (@1.3) vs St Brigids (@4.0)
28-09-2019

Our Prediction:

Castleknock will win

Castleknock – St Brigids Match Prediction | 28-09-2019 12:00

Back-to-back points by the reliable Ryan edged Brigids back in front, but Roscommon native Carlos displayed unerring accuracy at the opposite end to cut the gap to the bare minimum. There was little to separate the sides for the majority of the half, but in an extended period of stoppage-time, Mark Cahill (two) and OLoughlin ensured that Brigids brought a 0-8 to 1-2 advantage into the break.

There was a lengthy stoppage at the end of the first-quarter because of an injury to Castleknock corner-back Matthew Griffin, and he was eventually replaced by Tommy Corcoran (who had earlier stepped in as a blood sub for Eoghan Quinn). Ryan split the posts from a tricky placed-ball attempt, and this was swiftly followed by eye-catching scores from Daire Plunkett and OLoughlin.

A quick lash got a pupil to speed up or to think properly. Even fellows who had chapped hands from labouring or farm work were slapped. The same treatment was meted out to all, although the teachers always seemed harder on the boys. Any engagement or even non-engagement could potentially result in chastisement. I remember a girl in my class who had this unique habit of kicking up one foot each time she was slapped. Corporal punishment was rife at national school and beatings with a cane were administered for not knowing lessons or sums or more especially, their catechism, especially if they were due to be confirmed. Pupils had to come to terms with answering questions and reading aloud, notwithstanding shyness or a stutter. Unfairly, teachers often had a pick on those from more vulnerable families who had no champion to protect them. Slapping was usually with a bamboo cane, which regularly broke on pupils hands. Fear predominated in the classroom so it was not surprising that school was daunting for kids who had to absorb the strict rules to avoid being slapped on the hands.

Class photo c. 1941 St. Brigids National School, Castleknock,Dublin

St. Brigids Church of Ireland church,an old ecclesiastical settlement. It is believed that the original site of the well was closer to the church until the wells outlet was diverted to its present location in the eighteenth century. Brigids Well was already in existence when a site beside it was chosen for the building of a place of worship. Brigids Well is located in an alcove on College Road, off the main thoroughfare of Castleknock village. One might speculate thatSt. It stands outside the boundary wall of St.

In living memory, the well has stood in a brick alcove and it was always covered over with a pump. The pump was of an unusual type and stood higher than regular pumps.

Marys Abbey in 1486 and on the dissolution of the monasteries after Henry VIII broke with Rome, it became the property of the Luttrell family. John Brooks in the London Public Records Office. Brigid.They founded a monastery beside St. In 1803, the foundation stone was laid by Hans Hamilton for the re-building of St. Brigid. In 1185, Richard Tyrell, son of Hugh Tyrell, gave a grant to the Benedictine monks from the Abbey of Little Malvern in Worcestershire to endow a religious house in Castleknock in honour of St. The lands and priory were transferred to the ownership of St. The first church was built here in 1609 on the site of the monastery of St. Brigid in Castleknock and it was a dependent priory of Little Malvern. A copy of the charter of the grant in Latin was discovered in 1933 by Eric St. Brigids Well called the Abbey of St. Brigids, the present day Castleknock parish church. In May 1177, Henry II and Hugh de Lacy granted 12,001 acres of land in Castleknock to Hugh Tyrell, first Baron of Castleknock.

Children sat in pairs on wooden benches that were part of one unit with a seat that flipped up. OLeary, from Cork, who was nicknamed Danno, ran the school together with his wife. Allen arrived and he taught the older boys and girls. Mr. Allen was the headmaster. Later on, a new teacher, Mr. By the time my own sons started national school in Castleknock, Mr.

Server Error in '/' Application.

It was usual to learn by heart and we became proficient at chanting maths tables in a sing-song voice adding, subtraction, multiplication and long division. Using a map of Ireland, the teacher used to point to an area and pick on somebody, asking about typical crops or places where well-known people were born. School ended at the age of fourteen, when school-leavers were expected to find a job. We had to learn every town along the different railway lines and the parables.

Although it still stands, the pump is now broken. Each and every brick was numbered during the process and the alcove was later rebuilt. Brigids Well and the surrounding brickwork was dismantled by the local authority for the purpose of moving it slightly back from the road. Around 1984, the pump over St. A different green pump was affixed over the well, of the more common local authority variety.

Children started national school at the age of four and their first written examination was the Primary Certificate, taken in sixth class. Some came from Blackhorse Lane, as it was known then, Blanchardstown and Clonsilla. St. Many pupils were children of farmers and farm labourers, obliged to walk considerable distances to school. There was no school uniform and some children came to school barefoot. Brigids had four classrooms and held about 30 pupils in each room. Like most schools at the time, utilities were non-existent no water, no electricity and no heating, apart from an open fire, and of course, dry toilets.

The teacher rotated rows of students so everybody got a chance to heat themselves around the open fire at the top of the class. There were occasions during the war years when the school was expecting a load of turf but when it didnt arrive, the older lads and girls were sent out to gather sticks from the hedges for firewood. A mug was then attached with string to each bucket for communal drinking water. In winter time, an open fire or range was lit in the school room. On a hot summers day, it was the practice to send two schoolboys with buckets to the pump beside Myos pub to draw water. In winter, some children had flasks of cocoa to warm them up at but some were given billy cans of water that they heated over the fire. Lunchtime was always spent out of doors. On dark days, pupils were sent home from school early.

The Schools Collection, National Folklore Collection, Folklore Department, U.C.D.www.duchas.ie

On their return with a bucketful of water, the master used a string to attach a tin mug to the handle of the bucket for communal use by the pupils. St. Brigids Well served as the main source of drinking water for Castleknock villagers until the arrival of mains water. Indeed, on a hot summers day, it was the practice for two schoolboys to be sent from the nearby national school with a bucket to the well.